I'm going to be 24 in 6 months. That seems old. Turning 23 wasn't bad (other than the fact that I lost my flight benefits...boo). It still sounds young. 24 is pushing it. Then next I'll be 25....then 26, (which is closer to 30 than it is to 20 FYI)...and then before I know it I'll be "30, flirty, and thriving" (name that movie!). ugh. Let's not talk about it.
.
I know a lot of you are saying "what?! 24 is not old!", and I realize that. I just can't believe that I'm that old. I don't feel like I should be this old. I remember when I was like 12 and just starting young womens as a new Beehive and remember thinking that the Laurel's were SO OLD. Then when I got to college and was a brand-new 18 year old freshman in college I remember thinking that the seniors seemed really old. Then, when I was 21 I remember someone asking me how old I was and what year I was in school, I replied "21 and a junior"....her response?..."wow, you're old. and you're not married?!" Thank you, random girl.
.
As a matter of fact I think I would be totally fine not getting married until I was 27 or 28. If I live to be 90+ like my grandma, what's 27 years of single-ness in the big picture? If I wasn't Mormon, this would be totally normal.
.
I went through a period of time in my life, where a lot of my close friends/roommates got married, and I'll admit it....I was a little depressed/jealous. They were all moving on to the next step of their lives with someone. I was moving on alone.
.
I'm not going to lie, I still get like that sometimes, and I'll probably get like that again when another round of my friends gets married, but now I think back to that time and see that being jealous was stupid. My time will come. I LOVED my time in college being single. I made some of the best friends in the world, got to spend 24/7 with them, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Yes, I do want to get married and happily look forward to it. Someday. I LOVE weddings and would be a wedding planner at the drop of a hat if someone offered it to me. I know that once I get married I'll wonder where he was all my single life, but as of right now, I'm 100% ok with just being ME.
.
Sorry to rant...just some things that have been on my mind lately :) If you're offended, I'm sorry.
4 comments:
I felt the same way! I graduated from BYU-I and was NOT married. People view it as a bad thing... I didn't!
what a great post. I feel ya my friend. and you would SO be an awesome wedding planner, I pictured it immediately and was like "hm mm, totally." I've been looking back at old videos and pictures of you and I...we've have some effing good times my friend. I think it's time for a few more of those...any chance you could come visit some day??? Here are some incentives for you:
-I'd cook dinner and a good dessert for you at least once
-we have a Wii with some awesome games, including Beatles Rockband, Wii Sports and the newest Wii Sports which has archery and fencing. lol
-Temple Square...you know it's fun walking around it
-Nostrils is pretty nearby
-annnddd..that's all I got right now, but I'm sure there's a lot more.
love you friend!
yes come visit please!
and...being married is pretty awesome, but only if you find the right person. even if it takes you a long time. it's worth the wait! i was 26, and i wouldn't have wanted to be married any earlier, for reals. you are so free when you are single...remember that.
and come visit!
Post a Comment