Monday, June 2, 2008

My True love....

As many of you may or may not know, I am in love! yes, love. Quite shocking I know, coming from the girl who says she is going to date someone for 5 years before she marries them, but I can't help it. I'm head over heels.

My dream-boat is everything you could ever want in a guy.....sweet, charming, amazingly attractive, cares about you more than anyone ever could or will, oh...and did I mention he's 108 years old, sparkles in the sun, and has no heart beat? Yep. Your eyes did not fool you. I am in love with a fictional vampire named Edward Cullen.

For those of you who have not taken part in the masterpiece that is the book Twilight, shame on you! It all started when I fell in love with Edward and the rest of the characters last Christmas. Actually, my interest was peaked around Thanksgiving time. My dear mother, (who I have never really seen finish a whole book in my almost 22 years of life) was reading this amazing specimen. Now, I'd heard of Twilight before, and I was not going to be fooled into reading it. It was about Vampires for goodness sakes, and I'm not a big sci-fi gal. I had read the back cover a few times at the church bookstore back home, and thought "really? a girl falls in love with a vampire? fangs and all? how lame." But, I figured, if my mom could hold onto the book long enough to finish it, maybe I would give it a try.

Thanksgiving came and went and with the excitement of the holiday, I never got around to reading it. I made my not-so-long journey (thanks to the beauty of flying for free!) back to the ice capital of the world: Rexburg, Idaho. Finals were nearing and so I put Twilight in the back filing cabinet of my mind to make sure that I "studied" and "focused" enough for my tests. Well, finals came and went, and it was time for me to return to my homeland of Richland, Washington once again.

I returned home just 10 short days before Christmas, and with the hustle and bustle of the season, and with my little brother Dally leaving on his mission to Brazil in 5 days, (that, and the fact that my mom STILL had not finished the book so I couldn't have it) Twilight continued to sit in the filing cabinet of my mind.

Christmas and New Years came and still, I had not gotten around to reading it. During this time, I had began to hear more and more about this mysterious book, girls were drooling over Edward and I just didn't get it...yet. January 3rd-ish rolled around and my mom FINALLY finished and it was my turn to get my hands on this page turner.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Edward and Bella had my undivided attention from page 1. I now understood and could fully sympathize with people when they said they loved Edward Cullen, or they wished that vampires were real, or wished that their boyfriends/husbands sparkled in the sun. I was hooked. I could not put this puppy down, and for those of you that don't know me, I am NOT a reader. Really, it usually takes me 2-3 months to finish a book of equal length. I must take after my mom :) But, there was something about Twilight, that made it become permanently attached to my hands.

I read it in about a day, and was salivating for more adventures with my mythical friends. I went out and purchashed (er, my mom purchased) the sequal, New Moon. I was captivated once again. Meanwhile, my mom and I had joined the gym, and I was silently cursing her for making me go to Body Pump and Body Step in place of my sweet Twilight time. All I could think about while in the class was "What's going to happen next?!", "Will Bella and Edward get together?", "Who will Bella choose?", "Why is my mom making me do this? she read twilight, doesn't she understand my pain!?" and "Could this hour be any longer?!?!?!". It was pure torture. Between the aerobic classes...and lets face it, doing nothing else but reading, I was able to finish New Moon. What an emotional rollercoaster that book was! Onto book 3 I went. Eclipse kept my attention just as much as the first two, and when that book came to a close, I about had a nervous breakdown when I found out I would have to wait 8 MONTHS for the 4th and final book to come out. oh man.

These have been the longest months of my life. No joke. You may be thinking, "Jeez Courtney, get a hold of yourself, its just a book!" Just a book.....JUST A BOOK?! Do you have any idea how much a part of my life this book is?

Onto a slightly sad/depressing story, still having to do with Twilight that will have you thinking, wow, she really has gone nuts and has no life! Anyways, the 4th book comes out on August 2nd and I CANNOT WAIT! I eat, drink, and breathe Twilight. So, just the other day, Saturday, May 31st, they released the special edition of Eclipse with.....drum roll please....the first chapter of Breaking Dawn (the 4th book) in it! My own personal dream come true! So what do I do?

Scene: May 31st, Courtney's bedroom, Rexburg, Idaho, 7:56 am.
Courtney awakes, realizing that she has to use the bathroom very badly due to the 4 huge glasses of water that she downed just before bed the night before, she goes to the bathroom, washes her hands, and climbs back into bed (mind you, this is Saturday, her one day to sleep in). She is in bed for about 30 seconds or so when it hits her....the first chapter comes out today! Her eyes fly open, yet she's so tired from not going to bed until 2am the night before. she lays in bed for another 10 seconds wondering what she should do? go back to sleep? or go to wal-mart to find the book? a sudden thought comes to her head: the new cover art should be online by now! she jumps out of bed and quickly flips up her laptop. goes online and see's the new artwork. The gears in her brain start rolling.

Flash to Courtney, practically running, into wal-mart in Rexburg, Id at approx. 8:15am on said saturday. she frantically tries to steady herself as she finds the special edition copy of Eclipse. Now, she had only planned on finding a comfy spot in wal-mart to read said copy, but much to her demise/surprise, she finds two iron-on T-shirt transfers and a poster in the book. Courtney contemplates for 2.5 seconds on weather she really needs those t-shirt transfers and poster, the answer: yes. (now you have to realize that she already owns one copy of Eclipse, and if she buys this copy, she will have 2. 1 + 1=2. remember? does she really need 2? no. but does she need those t-shirt transfers? YES.) anyways, Courtney decides to buy the book. She then decides that while she's at wal-mart she may as well pick up a couple necessities: lip gloss, milk, tampons, bagels, you know...the usual. Courtney proceds to the check-out stand to find only one lane open, and that said lane is packed! what are people doing at wal-mart at 8am? especially here in rexburg? anyways, back to the story. Courtney waits impatiently in line, very tempted to start reading the chapter, but decides against it, for fears that she may scare the other customers when she starts to hyperventilate. Courtney finally makes it to the front of the line, hurries and pays, runs to the car, while dropping 75 cents in a donation can to pay for the chap-stick that she accidently stole from wal-mart the previous week (another story for another time folks), hops in her car. and races home. Courtney's roomies all the while, have been slumbering in their beds. Courtney shuts her door, and procedes to dial her friend Allison's phone number, because Allison is moving that day, and will not be able to read the chapter on her own. Allison answers the phone and Courtney begins to read Chapter 1 of Breaking Dawn to Allison over the phone.

*que hyperventilation*

Chapter 1 comes to a close and Courtney and Allison both scream, Nooooooo!!!!!!! for they want it to keep going on. They then procede to theorize what could this chapter and preface possibly mean? and so on and so forth. They close their happy conversation with a friendly good-bye, vowing to call each other later to further analyze their reading.

Now, wasn't that just the best story you ever heard? I know you're all probably thinking now, gosh, Courtney....get a life! But I just can't leave my precious vampires in the dust. It makes me happy to know that I have turned others to the dark side as well. Kurt & Ashley, Allison, my roommate Linda, just to name a few. And now they will go on to turn others, and before you know it, Twilight will take over the world! MUAH HA HA!

So, in conclusion, I would just like to say, that if you have not read this book, you seriously need to asap. Why else would I dedicate this very long blog post to it if I did not feel so strongly about it? To learn more about these magnificant books go here and here.

Oh ps, they are making a movie of the first book. I know right!? A dream come true. But, it doesn't come out until December 12th. So so so very far away. Which is also the day I graduate from College, I might add. Donations will be accepted.

So, if you happen to need my assistance with anything on August 1st between the hours of 9-midnight, you can find me at the Columbia Center Barnes & Noble Midnight Release Party of Breaking Dawn. Furthermore, if you require my assistance on August 2nd, you will have to find someone else. I will not help you. I will be too into my book which I will have started at approximately 1 am, and will not put it down for no one! I repeat....NO ONE!

But until then, you can find me either in the Clarke Building on campus (where I pretty much live), or in my apartment.

Only 59 days until the release of Breaking Dawn. Will I make it? I don't know. I may just spontaneously combust. Oh Edward, why must you torture me so?


*Me- clearly biting my finger off, over Eclipse, whilst wearing my Twilight T-shirt that reads "Love at first bite. Forks, Washington" that was purchased for me by my dear cousins Kurt & Ashley Price.

6 comments:

Sarah Jones said...

I love twilight too. I had heard about them from tons of people and decided to read them as soon as the 4th book was almost out (so that I didnt have to wait forever to find out the rest of the story), so 2 weeks ago I got the first one and I thought - 3 months to read three books - with work and everything that sounded about right, by the time I finish the first three the 4th will be out and ready for me to read! Too bad those books were so good that I couldnt put them down and read all three in one week! Dang it! I cant wait for the fourth one!!!

Enriquez Family said...

Ok so Im done with the 2nd book. When can I being it to you? let me know! im ready for #3!

Sean and Kyla said...

oh. my. gosh. I had a perma-smile on my face the whole time I was reading this post and couldn't suppress laughter several times. So rich girlfriend. And I had to comment on a few things, hold on let me reread through it again real quick.
1) I love the whole story of your falling in love with Edward and these books. so rich.
2) I love love love the whole Saturday story of you waking up and going to walmart that super early.
3) I love that you totally donated the 75 cents for the chapstick you stole. totally made me laugh.
4) and I love that I am putting in my calendar to not contact you at all on August 2nd. no seriously. I am. lol, man, I love this post. I may have to have my whole family read it.

Sean and Kyla said...

p.s. I forgot to mention that another thing that made me laugh was the song that was playing as I was reading this...the one from Enchanted. lol. oh gosh girl, you seriously slay me sometimes.

Bybee Family said...

ok so now you are going to have to bring me the book #1 when you come up to WA this weekend. Your killing me I have heard talk of this book in dark alleys but I have not even see the cover. Now you make me want to read it so bad. Bring one of your copies if you stand to part with it that long.

nani said...

LOL! x fifty! Well, Courtney, this is how great a blog post this is...it brought Nani into the 21st century, and the blogging club! Kyla shot me an email and said that I would appreciate this post knowing how fun and funny you are. AND I was NOT disappointed. Only problem now is that I have to get my hands on these books (just as soon as I finish the Chronicles of Narnia-yep, almost done...) And I love it that you have found the wonder of vampire-love! Yep, your mom might relate to this (or maybe I'm alone here) but I had the same fascination with a certain Vampire Soap Opera back in the 70's: Dark Shadows!!! Oh. My....yes, Quentin the vampire...there's just something so special about those lost souls that sparkle in the sun! Thanks for the fun post...felt like I was right there and sweating it every moment!